Monday, November 16, 2009

I just broke a Nail!!!

Yep, it was bound to happen, I chipped a nail. Actually, no... to clarify I broke a nail. It unfortunately is not the kind of little break, where a girly-girl would whine "oww... my nail!!" in a high-pitched whine intended for attention and coddling. Unfortunately I split it down the middle lengthwise down to the root, all the way through the quick. It was my left thumb nail. There was no high-pitched whining. But there certainly was lots of cussing, and definitely some shaking out of the hand in an attempt to get it to stop hurting. (Which never helps by the way.)

The unfortunate thing about breaking a nail down through the quick is that you don't realize just how important the nail is in protecting the finger nail bed, until you don't have it. Nor do you quickly forget how it feels when everything you attempt to grip reminds you of the fact that you don't have a nail to protect that very sensitive skin under the nail. Which is particularly bad when you wear rough leather gloves to work in.

I wish I could say that this was the only injury from the work. Thankfully the list of injuries is all minor, with no one missing limbs, instances of sepsis, or gangrene (yet.) Here is a shortlist of injuries to date:

- 3 instances of stepped on nails, only one went into the foot requiring bactine and a bandage
- 1 instance of a nail through the hand, which required a tetanus shot and bandage
- 1 broken nail
- Countless bruises (all mine, I bruise like a peach apparently all over my body)
- Countless smashed digits, both hand and foot. (again... mostly me. I am a klutz as well I guess.)
- 4 separate instances of stuff falling on heads - but no serious punctures, or concussions all requiring just bandages, condolences, and some lumps.
- several separate instances of dust in the eyes.

All of these minor injuries are the result of a very stringent safety environment. My Husband and I repeat to everyone who asks to join in on the work that we want a "injury free weekend." Not only for our sakes, to keep the potential of lost friendships and 'workman's comp' filings down, but also because we need to acknowledge that everyone that has helped out has a day job. It's enough to ask them to come and help out, but it would be foolhardy to think that they'd be willing to sacrifice their paying job because they helped out a friend and are now unable to work because they are concussed and in the hospital.

The other item of note that needs to be mentioned is that there are many people, family and friends alike, who are eager to help. What is the most surprizing is who and how many people have offered their support, and come through with so much effort. It has made this project feel less lonely and much more communial. We've had co-workers, long time friends, cousins, Aunts, fathers (in-law), nephews and even little ones come out and help.

(don't worry the little newphews got clean-up duty on the lawn, no tools for them.)

For all the time and effort that has gone into this first phase of demolition for me to loose a nail... I'm willing to pay that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment