Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting your stuff together.

Concerning Gear

If you are like me you probably have some tools. These may be leftovers form various projects in the past. I will also venture a guess that you have some experience with them. I personally have had tools around me for a good portion of my life. Between my father, (Electrician, and Do-it-Yourself-er) and by brother (Stage Hand and Fanatical Do-it-Yourself-er) and various friends and mentors throughout my life it would be safe to say I have been around a tool before.

Here are some tips that where relevant to me:

No matter what is in your garage you are going to make at trip the store.
In my own career in Telecom and my experience building model railroads, I thought I had all I needed... wrong. As work began I discovered that my tool box is designed for a Telecom person NOT a carpenter. So as a result, off to Home Depot.

Right Tool, Right job!

Let me tell you there are some jobs that are going to need a special tool. There are no was way around it. It just happens that I have never found a substitute for a crimping tool. I have ruined a lot of material or chewed up a lot of time by trying to “make it work.”

Evaluate the state of your tools.

Dull knives and raggedy tools are the road to disaster. Be honest with your self about the state of your equipment. If it is dull sharpen it! If it is damaged fix it or replace it. Trust me you will thank your self later. I guarantee that you that the raggedy tool will fail at the least opportune time. Usually 10 minutes after the store closes, on a Sunday, but most often right before you have to finish something because the contractor is arriving in 15.

Don’t be a cheap-skate.
I have fallen prey to this may times. There is a reason that one drill is only $25 and the rest are 80+. The is because you will be buying two of them. It has happened to me before and you will hate yourself, trust me. Quality is worth the the extra few bucks. I have been caught by the bargain bin too many times.

1 comment:

  1. Are you presently willing to get popularity quickly? Social media site Twitter may be the best track for you. After that, you require to buy twitter followers to become well-known to this world. buy followers on twitter

    ReplyDelete