Saturday, November 28, 2009

The case of the cripple wall.

As some may or may not know there where two major concerns with this house, the roof and the wall in the basement. As per the inspectors notes “There is evidence of rot damage to the cripple wall framing along the left rear of the structure." I, as with anyone, found this to be of some concern. Taking heed of the building inspector’s advice to “have a qualified contractor look at it,” I did.

First I felt it would be best that I remove the obstructions to get a better look to see what I was going to be dealing with. That is why the demolition of the house began in the basement. Once we'd finished demo, I had my father’s neighbor Kenny, who happens to be a contractor, come and take a look for me. His words to me were encouraging “I have seen worse, but it is do-able. I can help you if you like but you can do this yourself.” I took that grain of hope and ran with it.



This was the room, and the wall in question at the close of escrow. Not a pretty sight.







With the help of my wife and my trusty nephew Dex, we were able the get demolition to this point.



Still not beautiful but I can see what is going on now.


After taking a closer look. The project didn't seem bad, so I dove in. I ran to the book store to get started.



2 comments: